Wednesday 20 March 2013

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I took the kids to Her Majesties Theatre in Melbourne to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang today. Not my favourite musical - like a lot of people my generation I saw the movie as a kid ( I think at Frankston Drive In....yes that's how old I am) and I was terrified by Robert Helpman's performance as the 'child catcher'.
The production was very good. The dance numbers were slick and the singing was very good, especially the 2 children who held their own with the adults. The lighting and sets were effective but the real star of the show of course is the car.
It's eventual arrival was stunning and the audience which was mostly kids and old aged pensioners went wild! The car performed some terrific stunts in the air and looked majestic and authentic . I think the kids liked the dogs (remember the sweet factory scene) the best. The problem of course with musicals is that you get the songs (sometimes not very good ones) stuck in your head for ages afterwards. Right now 'toot sweet' is buzzing around in my head waiting to get out and my feet want to dance a cockney jig about bamboo poles!

No comments:

Post a Comment