Thursday, 10 November 2016

Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight

“Why not?” the fat shopkeeper said, reaching behind him again and taking another Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight from the shelf. He laid it on the counter.

Charlie picked it up and tore off the wrapper... and suddenly... from underneath the wrapper... there came a brilliant flash of gold.

Charlie’s heart stood still.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

Kate Young for The Little Library Café, part of the Guardian Books Network made some Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight and why not....This is her recipe!

Makes 12 bars

600g dark chocolate (70%) 
100g dark chocolate 
200ml double cream
Salted Caramel Sauce
110g caster sugar
45g salted butter (chopped into small pieces)
70ml double cream
1.5tsp flaked sea salt
2 egg whites 
100g caster sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
Pinch salt

Small heavy-bottomed saucepan
2 large heatproof bowl 
Large saucepan
Electric hand whisk
3 disposable piping bags
Silicone chocolate mould (I bought mine from eBay - each bar is 1.3cm deep, 10cm long and 4.5cm wide) 
Chocolate thermometer 
Plastic spoon 
Palette knife
Chocolate scraper

1. First, make the ganache. Place the chocolate, in small pieces, in a large heatproof bowl. Bring the cream almost to the boil in a saucepan, then pour over the chocolate. Allow to sit for a minute, then stir with a whisk until the chocolate is melted. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then cover with cling film and place in the fridge for an hour.

2. To make the fudge sauce, place the caster sugar in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Melt over a low-medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the caramel has turned a dark, golden colour. Remove from the heat, whisk in the butter and then the cream. The mixture might separate a bit, but just continue to whisk. Pour into a separate bowl to cool. Add the salt, and stir.


3. Put the marshmallow ingredients in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Whisk on a high speed for 5-6 minutes until the marshmallow forms strong peaks.

4. Pull the ganache (which should have solidified) out of the fridge and whisk it on a high speed for a couple of minutes until it is light and aerated. Scoop all three fillings into separate disposable piping bags and set them aside.

5. Next, temper 400g of the chocolate for the shells (if you have moulds for 12 bars - if you only have 6 moulds, as I did, temper half now and half later). Place 270g of this chocolate in the heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the water doesn’t ever touch the bowl directly. Stir the chocolate while it melts, keeping the heat as low as you can. Once the chocolate has melted, pay close attention to it and remove it from the heat once it has reached 52C. Remove the bowl from the heat and wrap the base in a tea towel to keep it warm. Add the remaining 130g of the chocolate and stir it in. Once melted, continue to stir until the temperature of the chocolate reduces to 32C.

6. Use the plastic spoon to transfer small amounts of the chocolate into each mould, and push it around until it covers the base and sides. Add more if you can still see the light through the chocolate when you hold it up to a window, and pay careful attention to the grooves, corners and sides. Set the chocolate aside on the bench (so long as it’s a cool day and you don’t have the heating on too high) until set.

7. Snip the tip off each piping bag, creating a half centimeter hole. Pipe a layer of the ganache into the each chocolate shell, and smooth with a palette knife. Pipe a strip of fudge sauce down the centre and then pipe a layer of marshmallow over the top. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to solidify a little. While the bars are in the fridge, temper the rest of the chocolate for the base, using the same method as before. Once the chocolate is tempered, spoon it over the marshmallow layer and, using a chocolate scraper or palette knife, scrape across the top once, ensuring the chocolate has gone right to the corners.

8. Return the bars to the fridge for half an hour, then turn them out. The long bars can be quite fiddly, but take it slow. I had the most success when holding the mould upside down over the edge of a table, and slowly peeling the silicone back.

Wrap the bars in foil and store in the fridge if you’re not eating them immediately - they do melt on a warm day! 

Oh and by the way....

No comments:

Post a Comment