Friday 28 July 2017

The AEU 'gets it!'

The AEU PCA newletter sent out on Friday 27th contained this story

Review into regional, rural and remote education


The Department of Education and Training has released a discussion paper on regional, rural and remote education.

The review, led by Emeritus Professor John Halsey of Flinders University, will consider the key challenges and barriers that impact on students' learning outcomes, including transitions toward, and success regarding, further study, training and employment.

The AEU will make a submission to the review and engage with members in rural and regional areas in the coming weeks to ensure the voice of principals, teachers and ES are heard loudly and clearly both in terms of the challenges faced but also the key solutions.

I informed the AEU PCA of this and I'm glad they posted this. I also sent it to my executive director, regional director, DET Secretary and Minister. It will be interesting to see if they promote this for teacher/ principal input as the AEU is doing? 

This is the email I sent ( This one to Gil Callister the Department Secretary)

Dear Ms Callister

 I am writing this letter to you to make you and your office aware that The Commonwealth Department of Education and training has launched a discussion paper and opened a portal for submissions for an inquiry entitled:

Independent review into regional, rural and remote education

The timeline for submissions is very short. They are due on August 29th.

 

The blurb on their website says: 

Country students will be the focus of an independent review into regional, rural and remote education. The review will consider the key challenges and barriers that impact on students’ learning outcomes, including transitions toward, and success regarding, further study, training and employment.

The review will be led by Emeritus Professor John Halsey of Flinders University.

The final report and recommendations will be provided to the Government by the end of 2017.

 

I have already sent my submission, I think it is essential that all stakeholders, especially state rural school teachers and principals participate in this inquiry. (They require responses to be made under pre-determined headings and don’t want those to exceed 350 words. Very limiting but their rules.)

I believe that it is important to have all voices heard. Because it has been a ‘well-kept secret’ can I ask you to ensure that the existence of the inquiry is made known to all school leaders and that it would be a perfect opportunity to inform the Commonwealth of important issues affecting rural and regional education in Victoria.

The next DET School update may be too late for the deadline. Can I suggest a direct memo out to Principals.

I have discussed this matter with the Office of the Federal Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Education Spokesperson and AEU and have their support in encouraging participation in the inquiry. I have also sent this email to my SEIL , Area Executive Director, Regional Director and the Minister’s office.

 

The portal can be accessed from this link.

https://www.education.gov.au/independent-review-regional-rural-and-remote-education

 

Tony Shaw

Principal Glen Park Primary School

25/07/17

(I am happy to email my submission to your office on request)

No comments:

Post a Comment