Wednesday 23 March 2016

The classics conundrum

Interesting topic on BuzzFeed Books. I have to confess I never finished Moby Dick, Gullivers Travels or Robinson Crusoe in their original form! ( I can proudly say I've read a lot of Dicken's, some Verne and all of HG Wells' 'science fantasy' tales and Dracula but not all of Frankenstein) and as I said in an earlier post lots of VCE texts over the last 3 years. At the moment I'm reading Ivanhoe but I'm struggling. I wouldn't read it only we are studying it next term.
The great thing is there are high quality abridged texts I can use when teaching and nowadays also lots of fantastic graphic novel versions. So the classics live on!
Anyway, below is the BuzzFeed story so copy and paste the address and make a comment if you like. ( I might confess to liking Jane Eyre but hating Emma!)
 
Maybe a few classics here on one of my bookshelves but mostly non-fiction.
From BuzzFeed

What Classic Book Didn’t Bore You Shitless?
Don’t judge a book by its dusty cover.....Definitely not the type of book you’d ever actually ~enjoy~ reading.But that’s not always the case. Some classic books are considered classic for a reason.There are plenty of classics that are actually enjoyable, and those are the ones we want to hear about.And we know the term “classic” is hard to define, so feel free to be as reckless as you want in your suggestionSo, what classic book would you recommend everyone read? Tell us in the comments below and you might be featured in an upcoming BuzzFeed Community post!

No comments:

Post a Comment